Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Glass Can Only Spill What it Contains

So a lot of people have asked me why I sold my Xbox 360, and the answer is longer and perhaps more detailed than you care to know. I sold it for very personal reasons, so it may or may not make any sense to you, and that is fine with me. As Kenan and Kel would say, ahh here it goes...

I grew up playing video games, and it has been something that I have enjoyed doing as long as I can remember. I still enjoy it and I probably will always enjoy it. I still plan on playing occasionally with my brothers and friends, and may even get a Xbox again at some point in the future.

Short Answer:
I decided to sell my Xbox because I do not manage my time well, and I had let it become too much a part of my identity, too much a part of who I was.

Slightly Longer and Better Answer:
I am not a gamer first, not even close. There are dozens of other roles in my life that are more important than being a gamer, the primary of which is a follower of Christ. Over the past months my time has been wasted more and more with good things such as playing video games, and less and less with the best things like becoming more like Christ and leading my wife to do likewise. So, it was time for some changes.

Selling my Xbox was just one thing that I am doing in an attempt to become more focused in my pursuit of Christ-likeness. I am going to write more frequently, and more sincerely; not that I was insincere in the past, but I was not writing from the truest or most important part of who I am.

So that's that. Thanks for reading and please add comments and follow my blog if you like.

3 comments:

  1. Feel free to add comments, I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want SF4 back just say the word. Until then I hope that you can become as good at whatever it is you plan to spend your time with as you were at videogames. Not that spirituality is a skill...just ask the pharisees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Joel,

    I can't believe this... doing something like this that is so counter to what you "want" or desire tells me beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right thing to do... I am sure hearing that doesn't make it any easier, but I am proud of you for doing it!

    Master Chief and Akuma are both nodding their heads in agreement with what I write, and more importantly, what you have done.

    ReplyDelete